[Denemo-devel] arecordmidi mentioned by white1

From: Richard Shann
Subject: [Denemo-devel] arecordmidi mentioned by white1
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 08:47:43 +0100

I didn't realise there is a program called arecordmidi with the Alsa
system. It can create a MIDI format file from what you play at your MIDI
keyboard.

arecordmidi -l lists the device you have:

arecordmidi -l
 Port    Client name                      Port name
 14:0    Midi Through                     Midi Through Port-0
 20:0    USB Keystation 49e               USB Keystation 49e MIDI 1

and then you can use that information to listen on the correct port
and then

arecordmidi --port=20:0 outputfilename.midi

there is an option to provide a metronome.

The point is that Denemo's internal recording of MIDI-in is can only be
sent to the automatic import routine, a MIDI file can be imported using
the guided import, which allows for the user to choose the rhythmic
values. Whether this would be better for transcribing improvisations
than using audio recording as source material (File->Open->Open Source
Audio) I'm not sure.

Anyway thanks to white1 for alerting me to this on irc #denemo.