Re: [Denemo-devel] New Binaries if possible.

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] New Binaries if possible.
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 15:05:29 +0100

On Fri, 2015-04-24 at 14:26 +0100, Richard Shann wrote:
> Jeremiah,
>       I have made some progress with crashes on windows,

I didn't explain what the progress was: I was reliably able to get a
crash on a windows vista 32-bit machine by loading the Open->Open
Example->TemperamentShiftingPlayback.denemo
and pressing Play.
It was crashing in the process_thread_func which is part of the dummy
back end. I was able to run it under gdb using the attached(*) script
(actually I invoked denemo.exe rather than denemo-console.exe) and I
could see that it was attempting to start portmidi, but because there
was no MIDI controller it was falling back on the dummy midi backend.
I plugged a MIDI controller in, and it promptly stopped crashing.

So I'm fairly sure it is the dummy backend that is wrong. I recall
fixing something on that a while back, so the first thing to do is
create new binaries.

(*) actually it wouldn't send my email with the script attached, as it
saw it was a batch file, so I'm uploading it to denemo.org at
http://www.denemo.org/~rshann/gdb.tar
including the gdb.exe and gdbserver.exe - perhaps you can add these to
the top level of the mingw zip file so that if someone has a crash they
can run the gdb version instead. (Hmm, I think what I've uploaded is a
Denemo.bat using gdb, we need one a plain Denemo.bat and a
DenemoGDB.bat).

Richard

ps On my Debian box it doesn't fall back on the dummy, it runs the ALSA
backend - I don't see any crash.