Re: [Denemo-devel] Barlines, repeats and voltas

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Barlines, repeats and voltas
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2015 17:30:27 +0100

On Sun, 2015-04-26 at 18:03 +0200, Éloi Rivard wrote:

>         On Sun, 2015-04-26 at 16:34 +0200, Éloi Rivard wrote:
>         > Ok thank you for those answers. I will continue my importer
>         then and
>         > ignores that the midi played is not what I expect.
>         >
>         > What do you think of making barlines (and special endings)
>         some denemo
>         > objects instead of lilypond ones. So when we would play the
>         midi, it
>         > would just produce the expected sounds without further
>         command ?
>
>         We wouldn't want it to do that in general - it would take
>         twice as long
>         to listen to a piece that has repeats in the usual case which
>         is
>         listening to check for mistakes. To listen to a performance
>         you can
>         always get LilyPond to generate a MIDI file and play that with
>         a MIDI
>         player.
>

> Well there can be several usage of a score editor. One is to write
> music, for sure. But another one can be to listen to music and
> practice with your instrument, over the music. In my brass band, this
> is the most common usage. In this case the user needs the partition to
> be played as it is written. Exporting a midi seems a bit complicated,
> when you recieve a score, you just want to open and play it.

Absolutely - that's why I wrote d-Performance, because there was a
demand for such a feature. I also added things like the Mute Staff so
that the user can turn off the voice they are playing and so on.

Until someone writes a much better MIDI generation for Denemo the best
quality MIDI output would be via LilyPond's \midi command, which as you
say is complicated. We don't even have a command to generate it from
Denemo at the moment, though it would be easy enough to do, but we
wouldn't have the cursor moving in step without quite a bit more
work(*).
Richard
(*) as a matter of history, we used to spawn an external player and then
move the cursor from within Denemo and this worked surprisingly well.
But it would be a fair bit of work (and I don't really know quite how
good LilyPond's MIDI generation is, I have never really tried it - I
have seen discussion about handling things like ritardando and so on).