Re: [Denemo-devel] Print View question

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Print View question
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2015 09:54:03 +0000

On Sat, 2015-11-14 at 09:56 -0500, Linda Pan wrote:
> Hi Denemo team,

You don't mention which version you have, I'll assume 2.0 in this
answer.

> I'm writing a solo + SATB arrangement for my a cappella. Right now in
> Print View, it shows the soprano, then alto, then tenor, then bass
> parts separately and no solo.

There are two ways that I can immediately think of to tell Denemo not to
print one of the parts. The first is in the Staff menu, Staff Properties
menu where there is a command "Non Printing Staff"
if you have clicked this (by mistake in this case!) then the staff will
not show in the print view. You can see if this property is set by
getting up the Staff/Voice Properties Editor window (click on the tools
icon at the start of the staff).

The other way is to have a custom score layout, you are less likely to
have done this by accident - look at View->Score Layout and delete any
layouts until you are left with Default Score Layout.

>  I can't figure out how to get all 5 staffs to print aligned.

aligned????

>  It used to do it after I clicked "Movement" but then I wrote more and
> it stopped.

The other possibility is that you have accidentally introduced something
obscure into the part - it would be good to know what so as to prevent
others stumbling on the same thing.
How to find this:
      * If the part that is not showing is not too long you can step
        through each note/object with the right arrow with the Object
        Inspector showing (ie double click the first object to inspect
        it, then right arrow). For each object you look for something
        strange that you don't know why it is there. There are things
        like "Stop typesetting here" and so on that will get you
        puzzled.
      * If it is much larger you can use Ctrl-e, Ctrl-e which gives a
        list of all the directives, and reading through those you may
        see something that seems unusual, you can choose one and seek
        out where it occurs and delete it if it is spurious (you could
        ask here first).
      * You can chop out half the music (using Staffs->Delete Measures
        from/before Cursor) to see if it suddenly starts printing, then
        the problem is in the other half. (Do this on a copy!).
        Gradually chop it down to a few measures which don't print and
        look in detail at that.

Finally - could you send me your score? It's always illuminating to see
how people have used Denemo and what causes trouble. Use
address@hidden to keep it private if needed (or if too large,
compressed is good).

Richard