Re: [Denemo-devel] Tooltips - what am I doing wrong?

From: Emmanuele Bassi
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Tooltips - what am I doing wrong?
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2015 16:34:31 +0000

Hi;

On 18 November 2015 at 15:57, Lucas Levrel <address@hidden> wrote:
> Le 18 novembre 2015, Emmanuele Bassi a écrit :
>
>>> They decide that menus should not be torn off, and that is that, despite
>>> the fact that Denemo users do tear off menus if they are going to be
>>> using them for a while.
>>

>> Tearoff menus are, by *any* metric that is not artificially restricted
>> to "the Denemo users", a very seldom used UI element in any UI that
>> has been designed in the past 15 years (to be generous; I haven't seen
>> them past the early '90s);
>

> If I'm understanding right what "tear-off menus" are, they are used by Gimp.

Not really, unless you're still using Gimp with GTK 1.2.

Tear off menus are these:

  http://www.denemo.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/display3.png

Which are perfectly replaceable by a floating GtkWindow and a bunch of
controls — including a list of buttons that pop up menus, if you want,
for some reason, to retain the design instead of improving the user
interaction model.

The ability to literally tear off menu items from a menu bar and use
them as floating toolboxes is not something GTK developers are willing
to maintain any more, given the small user base compared to the
complexity they introduce. Also, as a user interaction method, tear
off menus are usually an indicator of major design issues in the UI
itself.

> (That makes me wonder: what GTK version is Gimp using?)

Gimp is currently using GTK 2.x, given that the Gimp maintainers
wanted to finish the transition to the GEGL architecture underneath,
before refactoring the UI part; a GTK 3 port is actively being worked
on — and there's continuous feedback between Gimp developers and GTK
developers to ensure that the new features landing in GTK can be used
to simplify or improve the Gimp code base.

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
https://www.bassi.io