Re: [Denemo-devel] Denemo "unable to load file"

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Denemo "unable to load file"
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2015 10:11:45 +0000

On Fri, 2015-11-20 at 22:44 -0500, Jim Heifetz wrote:
> Hi.
>      I am a new user of Denemo (on Windows)
which version???

>  and I'm not sure of the best
> way to get help.

This is it!

>      I started by entering music for a relatively simple song.

did it have lyrics? Can you check in wordpad if there are empty verses
<verse><verse/>
I think it is.

>   I had it
> almost ready and made a few little changes and now I cannot use it.
> Denemo says "load of file xxx failed".  This message gives me no real
> information as to what the problem

If you run C:\Program Files\Denemo\usr\bin\denemo-console.exe

you will get a terminal in which techie error messages are splurged out.

> is (I know that the operating system
> can read the file because I can read it with with Notepad or Wordpad).
> I tried an online XML validator and it found no problem.
>      How is one supposed to fix a problem with no diagnostic
> information?  Do you have any plans to have Denemo say what it is
> complaining about rather than just throw up its hands and quit?

The background is that this is so unusual (it has never been reported I
think) that very little effort has been put into trying to guess
circumstances in which it could come about.
Correspondingly, it could be extremely useful for the Denemo project to
find out how it has come about for you. If you are able and willing to
send it privately to me (address@hidden) I will be interested
to look into it.