Re: [Denemo-devel] Midi Import not working

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Midi Import not working
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2016 12:48:07 -0500

I think rosegarden does the best job at importing midi. You might want to open it up in rosegarden and then export it into musicXml or something. Then you can import it into denemo.

Jeremiah

On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 11:27 AM, Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:
On Wed, 2016-04-13 at 15:22 +0100, address@hidden Bicycling Adventure wrote:
> Hi Richard, Thanks for the quick reply.
>
> The file is attached. Same track but totally different origins.

I've tried this on Denemo and on midi2ly (the LilyPond importer) and
both generate an unreadable score. I think the track is "real" music.
For example, I suspect that what are intended to be chords are actually
a succession of MIDI Note On events very close together. The second of
the two tracks you sent does contain some musical information (time
signature, for example, and names of instruments), but both have real
durations for notes that need some intelligence (artificial or
otherwise) to transform into a score. The other approach (probably only
doable on GNU/Linux machines) is to import it as audio into Denemo and
transcribe it from that (see the vimeo demo for this).

 I wonder do you (or anyone else here on the list) know if there are
programs that succeed in rendering this sort of MIDI into something it
would be reasonable to edit into a plausible score?
Have you tried MuseScore? If there is a program with free source code
that does something useful with this sort of input it could be a
starting point for a better MIDI import in Denemo.

Richard