Re: [Denemo-devel] producing scores of chants

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] producing scores of chants
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2016 20:35:04 +0100

On Sat, 2016-04-16 at 12:58 -0500, T. R. Valentine wrote:
> On 16 April 2016 at 12:03, Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2016-04-16 at 11:44 -0500, T. R. Valentine wrote:
> >> I haven't found anything in the user manual
> >
> > Which version do you have? Version 2.0.6 is just out and the latest
> > manual is always at
> > http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=denemo.git;a=blob_plain;f=docs/denemomanual.pdf;hb=HEAD
>
> When I tried to install the latest version, it hung up — a long list
> of 'flyidsynth: error: Synthesis event queue full' in the terminal
> window and it just stayed there.

We simply *must* fix this first! By "the latest" version did you mean a
binary executable (32-bit) from the Downloads page of denemo.org?

> I tried it several times, cleaning
> everything out before retrying. Even ran it as root. Same result every
> time. So, I'm stuck at version 1.1.0 which is what is in the Linux
> Mint repository. :-(  (Running Mint 17.3)
>
> (But the LilyPond version is 2.16.2)

That too is out of date, but easily fixed, you just download and install
(as a simple user) from lilypond.org

> >> 1. I want to create notes without stems,
> >
> > You would need to insert a bit of LilyPond syntax to make the stems
> > transparent - ask if that is what you meant.
> >>  both a breve and a 'breve
> >> with a filled-in head'
> >
> > Breve is in the menu of durations not sure what 'breve  with a filled-in
> > head' would be.
>
> The only way I've found to get a breve is to insert a whole note and
> then use the doubling of duration. What I'd like is to be able to
> generate an open-headed note (semi-breve/whole) with single or double
> vertical lines on either side and a filled-headed note
> (crotchet/quarter) without a stem with the single or double vertical
> lines on either side since both of these are used in chants.

the second of these at least will require a LilyPond tweak

> >>  and be able to put a string of words (verse) on
> >> a single note
> > surround the words with double-quotes
> >
> >> 2. turn off time signature
> >
> > There is a hide timesignature in the menu, if that is what you meant. If
> > you meant to create music without automatic barlines there is that too.
> >
> >>  and place arbitrary bar lines where I want them
>
> I found the hide time signature, but Denemo still wants to count the
> number of beats in a measure.

In the manual it explains that the barlines in the Denemo display are
only "chunks", it is LilyPond that is adding barlines. There is a Hide
Barlines in the Movements->Typesetter menu, but you will need a slightly
different syntax to turn off automatic barlines.

>  The only workaround I've found is to
> constantly change and hide the time signature. I've attached an
> excerpt of what I'm working from.
>

> > there is a command to insert an ordinary style barline.
> > If you haven't found *any* of these I suspect you are using an ancient
> > version of Denemo. Generally the Command Center (View->Command Center)
> > search box will help you find commands.
>
> An ancient version for sure. I haven't really looked at the Command
> Center (one of the few windows that didn't appear when I first started
> Denemo!). I'll dig into it.
>

> >> I'd also like to
> >> 1. change spacing between the title and the first stave
> > Score->Typesetter->Print Layout->Vertical Spacing->Markup to System
> > Spacing
> >
> >> 2. add a composer name right-aligned between the title and first stave
> >
> > Look at the File->Open->Open Example->AllTitles.denemo to find the field
> > you want to set (s,s let's you choose from them)
> >
> >> 3. change spacing between staves
> >
> > You may mean systems here rather than staves ...
> > Score->Typesetter->Print Layout->Vertical Spacing is the right menu.
> > Let me know if some particularly useful LilyPond syntax is missing.
> >
> >> 4. change 'Soprano & Alto' to a vertically stacked 'S A' and 'Tenor &
> >> Bass' to a vertically stacked 'T B'
> >
> > There are some examples of setting up voices on staffs for vocal music
> > (and templates as well I think, File->Open->Open Template)
> >
> >> 5. change the colour of a 'Textual Annotation' (a very useful feature)
> >
> > You will need to look up the LilyPond markup syntax for that - the
> > Multi-line Text and Music command lets you insert \color xxx and so on.
> >>
> >> I'd appreciate any and all suggestions.
> >
> > Let me know if there is something specific missing or if you need help
> > with LilyPond syntax stuff.
>
> I started with Denemo because I wasn't sure I could handle only text
> input. When it comes to music notation, I'm *very* visual. Is there a
> place you would recommend for LilyPond syntax?

lilypond.org, but first we need to get you a working up-to-date program.
Perhaps Andreas on this list can advice (or Edgar) as they have packages
built for certain distros.

below is the list of features and fixes added since 1.1, as you can see
it is quite long ...

Release 1.1.2

    Links to source files can be relative to current score location
    Transcribing from MIDI
        Play in to a click track.
        Enter rhythm afterwards.
    Guided MIDI import
        Durations can be checked as they are entered.
    Support for LilyPond 2.18
        Old scores are updated for incompatible syntax.
    Re-shaping/Re-positioning Ties
        Both WYSIWYG and tweaking width/height/convexity.
    LilyPond View Improvements
        Bracket Matching.
        Line numbering visible.
        Cursor position highlighted.

Release 1.1.4

    Spillover
        Appending over-length notes spill into next bar.
        Works for rests too.
        Optional – set a preference for old behavior.
    Shortcuts Cheat Sheet
        Current set of shortcuts listed.
        Alphabetical order.
        Gives description of command.
    Support for Aubio 4
        Microphone Input Note Detection.
        Note Onset Detection.
        Instrument Tuning.
    General Seek and Edit Facility
        Choose from all available object types in movement.
        Choose from objects at cursor.
        Seek and edit the chosen type in music playing order.
        Restart last search, wrap to beginning, to next movemnt.
    Display Editing
        Control+Shift drag to move objects in the input music display
        Does not affect the final typeset score.
        Useful when the input music display is too cluttered to see
clearly.
    MusicXML import
        Imports Titles, copyright and other text
        Imports dynamic markings

Release 1.1.6

    Lyrics Interface
        Cursor on music moves to match cursor in lyrics
        Jump to any point in the lyrics by mouse or keyboard
        The inactive pane (lyrics or music) clearly indicated by
graying-out
    Margins Control
        Set top, bottom, left and right margins in mm.
    Tweaking Typesetting
        Individual notes, chords and rests can be tweaked
        Accidentals and markings move with the note
        Fingerings can be offset
        For use when LilyPond is sub-optimal
    Fret Diagrams
        Chords typeset as fret diagrams
        Defaults to Guitar
        Can be used with Chord Names too
    Comprehensive Musical Symbol Support
        Menu access to the complete set of LilyPond music symbols
        Over 600 types of music glyphs can be placed and dragged on the
score
    More Ornamentation Support
        Coulés
        Arpègements
        Suspensions
    Editing Timer
        Displays time spent creating a score
        Accumulates over all editing sessions

Release 1.1.8

    Spanners
        Dynamics such as cresc. poco a poco
        Text such as rall …
        LilyPond takes care of the extents
    Lyrics Enhancements
        Lyric stanza numbers can be inserted
        Available on lyrics pane menu
        Lyric font style control
        Melismata Insert
    Text and Graphics
        Graphic Title Pages
        Multiple columns of text
        Edit in external vector editor
        Use for music books, verses …
        Multi-line text, with embedded music snippets
    Custom Ornaments/Symbols
        Edit the Ornament Shape and Size
        Re-define existing ornaments
        Attach to notes or stand-alone
    Custom Barlines
        Define new barlines
        Re-define existing barlines
        Control over how/if they print in all positions
    Chord Charts
        Chord Symbols
        With barlines, repeats
        Text markings, pauses
        Use for songs, jazz …
        Display on smartphone while busking…

Release 1.2

    Palette Shortcuts
        Execute Palette Commands from Keyboard
        Label is typed in
        Label truncation allowed
        Switch active palette
        Works even on hidden palettes
    Automatic Cues
        Install Reference to Cued Part
        Automatically detects difference in clef
        Changes are automatically reflected in cue
    Fret Diagrams
        Can be placed in any score
        Can be embedded in text
        Can be re-positioned by dragging
    Accidental Styles
        16 styles available
        Apply across entire score
    Lyrics Improvements
        Choose Font Face
        Choose Font Size
    Chord Chart Improvements
        Interface for Customized Chord Symbols
        Page size and measures per line control
        One-off arbitrary chord symbol creation
        Tailored shortcuts for fast keyboard entry.
    MIDI information on double-click
        Timing information
        Volume (velocity) information.
    Default Font Faces
        Choose from system installed fonts
        Titles, Lyrics etc
        Chord Names and other sans serif text
        Mono-spaced font
    General Improvements
        More checks for user errors
        Better flow of notes into new measures.

Release 1.2.2

    More mouse selection support
        Extend an already made selection by dragging
        Dragging selection now scrolls as needed

    Large (Deep) Score Support
        Hide staffs in the Display
        Display only selected staffs, e.g. woodwind section
        Use for deep scores, e.g. full orchestra.
        Navigation commands available

    Improved Ornamentation Interface
        Place accidentals above and/or below ornament
        Stack ornaments.
        Quick and easy WYSIWYG dragging.

    Support for Proof-Reading
        Add PDF Annotations to Denemo typeset Score
        Open the proof-read score in Denemo
        Locate proof reading marks
        Transfer proof read comments to the Denemo score

    Miscellaneous
        Edit/Delete all of one type of object
        Chord Chart Bass Inversion Sequences
        Support for editing from MIDI controller
        Artificial Harmonics
        Caesura
        Arbitrary text for N’th time bars
        Intelligent tied notes edits
        Duplicate, Split or Merge Movements

Release 1.2.4

    Command Search Improved
        Search for commands containing key words
        Fuzzy search
        Search command help text and label

    New Commands
        Choose format of rehearsal marks
            Plain, boxed or circled
            Alphabetic or Numeric
        Controls for page numbering

    Music Snippets
        Saved with the score
        Use extended to all objects
        Command for insertion from keyboard
        Re-labelling of snippets

    Staff Groups (Braces)
        Graphically displayed
        Click to edit the start or end

    Updated Manual
        New sections on Command Center, Tablature, Fret Diagrams …

    Autosave
        Auto-saved versions detected on start up
        Save rate in granularity of seconds

    Bug Fixes
        Fix over long menus
        Menu of searchable objects avoid spurious items
        Improved Check Score routine
            more errors detected
            error position indicated in all cases

Release 2.0

Released 30th October 2015

    Object Inspector
        Full details of current object nicely formatted
        Includes all attachments to the current object
        Tracks the cursor
        Available from the Print View
    Object Editor
        Edit built in attributes
        Edit attached features
        Available from Inspector or by right click.
        Create Palette Buttons for instantiating the current attached
features
    Score and Movement Properties Editor
        Edit global properties of the Score
        Edit global properties of the Movement
        Switch between movements to edit properties
        Create Palette Buttons for instantiating the current score or
movement property
    Staff and Voice Properties Editor
        Edit global properties of the Staff
        Edit global properties of the Voice
        Create Palette Buttons for instantiating the current staff or
voice property
    Search and Replace
        Search for rhythmic patterns
        Edit at found pattern and continue
        Search for note sequences
        Wrap to staff start/next staff
        Resume search
    Score Layout Editor
        Duplicate Movements with separate edits
        Re-order Movements
        Duplicate Staffs with separate edits
        Staffs can be added from any movement into any other
    Titles
        Control of bold, italic and fontsize
        Control of spacing
        Comprehensive set of fields to set
    Beaming Rules
        Create scorewide beaming rules
        Rules for multiple time signatures
        Regular rules with exceptions done by example.
    Preview of Text/Music/Fret Diagram/Chord Symbol Markup
        Check the appearance before re-typesetting the score
    Notehead Styles
        Complete set of notehead styles
        Set on individual notes or score-wide
    Vertical Spacing Controls
        Complete set of vertical spacing distance settings
        Titles to System
        System to System
        … more
    Improved MIDI output
        Sustain Pedal effect
    Bug Fixes
        MIDI message lengths corrected for custom messages
    User Manual
        Many new sections added

Release 2.0.2

    Playback View
        Fully Typeset View
        Click to Play
        Drag to play selection
        Shift-Drag to loop
        Auto-scrolling
            Simple Scrolling
            Multiple Scroll Points (tempo changes etc)
        Play from full score while scrolling a part
        Fully-featured MIDI
            Cresc. and Dim.
            Articulations (staccato etc)
            Grace Notes
            Individual Tied Notes in Chords
            Sustain Pedal … more
    LilyPond Export
        One file per part
        Output divided into measure per line
        Measure Number every 10th measure
        All Staffs
        All Movements
    Staff/Voice Editor Improvements
        Navigate to other staffs within editor
        Visibility/editing of clef, key, time signatures
        Guidance for voices typeset on one staff
    Dynamics Lines
        Display on single line
        Distinctive coloring
    Instrument Ranges
        Out-of-range notes colored red
        Easy one-click setting to chord
    Instrument Templates
        Add staffs pre-configured for chosen instrument
        Name, range and transposition included
    Substituting Music
        Replace music of one staff with that of another
        Use, e.g. to typeset Chord Symbols and Fret Diagrams from one
set of chords
    Fret Diagrams
        Include pre-defined Mandolin and Ukulele
        Default is guitar
    Tablature
        Include example for 18th c Lute
    Bug Fixes
        Ornament with Accidentals above and/or below fixed

Release 2.0.4

    Conditional Directives on Chords/Notes
        Create editions with/without ornaments, fingerings …
        Conditional items are highlighted in the display
        Object Inspector reports on them
    Enhanced Object Editor
        Set Conditional Behavior
        Initiate Search/Edit from Object
    New Commands
        Margins for Duplex Printing
        Page Number Positioning
        Gaps in Staffs
        Enharmonic transpositions of passages
    Generating Parts
        Part naming extended to multi-staff instruments
    Score Checking
        Bug Fixes
        Skip Errors

Release 2.0.6

Released 15 April 2016

    Play Back Controls
        Buttons to play selection or from cursor
            Fix bugs with initial use
        Mute Staffs
            Mute/Un-mute all or groups of staffs
        Whole Score Volume Override
    Denemo Display
        Upbeat bar numbering matches typesetter
    LilyPond Error Reporting
        Separate report for each run
        Only report include filenames when they error
    Playback View
        Shift-Click to Navigate
        Revert to simple MIDI while editing
    Playback from Typeset View
        Unified interface with Playback View
    Lyrics
        Insert Skips
    Translations
        Chinese (Simplified) Translation

Release 2.0.8

In git now

    Copy and Paste
        Applies to note/chord attributes
        CtrlC, Ctrl-V work for these
        Copied marking is highlighted
        Selection changes color when copied
    Improved Acoustic Feedback
        Trill makes a short trill sound on entry
        Copy attributes sounds
    Improved Visual Feedback
        Status bar notices are animated
    New Commands
        Tuplet Positioning
        Curved Tuplet Brackets
    Bug Fixes
        Standalone Multi-line text with backslash editing