Re: [Denemo-devel] Denemo and Ubuntu SUCCESS

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Denemo and Ubuntu SUCCESS
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2016 14:54:53 +0100

On Thu, 2016-06-09 at 23:21 +0200, Andreas Schneider wrote:
> Am 09.06.2016 um 20:30 schrieb Richard Shann:
> >>
> >> Yes.
> > ? Is that to say that the link http://www.denemo.org/~aschneider/ is
> > good for some version of Ubuntu?
>
> Yes. Actually, on the download page the section about my packages
> already mentions Ubuntu.

So can I put that it is tested for Ubuntu 16.04 (the version Bernard
reported using)?

> >>  I see that Ubuntu is already mentioned on the downloads page. We
> >> could specify version(s) of Ubuntu on which it is known to work.
> >>
> >> When I find the time, I intend to set up a small repository that people
> >> can directly add to their /etc/apt/sources.list.
> >
> > That will be good for the more techie users, but most Ubuntu users faced
> > with instructions to open a file and add a line to it will be daunted.
> > For them the "Download this, and run this command" is better.
>
> Do you think so? If that is indeed the case, do I need to do the effort
> to set up a repository? The advantage for the user would be, e.g., that
> updates would be installed along with other updates.

Well, Debian users would have more tech-minded users, but they it sounds
like quite a small gain - though I don't know for what effort on your
part. (And talking of effort on your part - did the bookpart thing work
out for you? I could tidy up the script as outlined earlier if you think
it is a generally useful feature. I don't quite understand what it will
do - if you can write the "tooltip" that explains what the command does
- in simple end-user terms - I could do the rest)