Re: [Denemo-devel] Ukulele fret diagrams

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Ukulele fret diagrams
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2016 20:53:36 +0100

On Sat, 2016-06-18 at 17:40 +0100, Richard Shann wrote:
> > On Sat, 2016-06-18 at 15:57 +0100, Dominic Shann wrote:
> > > The standard ukulele tuning in Britain is: a e c g - the 3rd string
> > > being the lowest (middle C), the others a 3rd, 5th and  6th higher,
> > >
> Oh, right, that is what is defined in LilyPond as the default, and so
> this works:
>
> \version "2.18.0"
> \include "predefined-ukulele-fretboards.ly"
>
> \storePredefinedDiagram #default-fret-table  <g' c' e' c''>
>                         #ukulele-tuning
>                         #"o;o;o;3;"
>
> \score
> {
>   \new FretBoards
>      {
>       \set Staff.stringTunings = #ukulele-tuning
>       <g' c' e' c''>
>      }
> }
>
> Assuming you want three open strings and the third fret on the "a"
> string.
> You need to specify the g an octave higher than you did, which makes
> sense as that is the right note.
> What is a bit strange is that this (and all the others, no doubt) aren't
> already defined. They have only written definitions for entering chords
> via names like c:m7 etc.
>
> So, I think if you can come up with a set of \storePredefinedDiagram
> commands with the right notes and the right frets I can do the rest.
> If you want to do this send me a couple of samples first...

I thought it can't be as difficult at that, so I asked on lilypond-user
and indeed you can do this:

\version "2.18.0"
\score
{
 \new FretBoards {

                 \set Staff.stringTunings = #ukulele-tuning
                 < c' e' g'\4 c''>
                }
}

That is, you don't need to include the pre-defined fret boards, you just
need to specify that the g' is to be on the 4th string with
g'/4

This is easy to do in Denemo, you can enter the notes c' e' g' c'' and
put the cursor on the g' and with Notes/Rests->Directives->Add LilyPond
to Note add \4 after the note (and nothing before). Then (with
Staff=>Staff Properties->Fret Diagrams->Fret Diagrams on you get the
fret diagram required.

Of course, for efficiency you will need some button creation - e.g.
having made the fret-diagram once you can then clone it as a snippet
which you label with the chord name (hmm maybe what we need is to have a
"make-me-a-palette-button-to-create-the-object-at-the-cursor"
routine ...)

This all looks eminently doable.