Re: [Denemo-devel] Gregorian Chant in Denemo

From: Andreas Schneider
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Gregorian Chant in Denemo
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2017 19:34:50 +0100

Am 15.01.2017 um 19:03 schrieb Richard Shann:
> On Sat, 2017-01-14 at 12:39 +0100, Andreas Schneider wrote:
>> Am 13.01.2017 um 23:21 schrieb Richard Shann:
>>> On Fri, 2017-01-13 at 21:23 +0100, Andreas Schneider wrote:
> [...]
>>> (did I send that version?), but they have to be dragged into
>> position
>>> graphically.
>>
>> I did notice that the augmenta were messed up, but I thought that I
>> might have missed some lilypond directive to use in such cases. Now I
>> know that is a problem of lilypond. Thank you for investigating.
>
> I've been thinking a little bit about all this. It seems to me that
> setting Gregorian Chant is quite different from the sort of thing that
> people often want to do with regular notation. In regular notation a
> score can often comprise thousands of individual bars (for all the
> parts, movements etc) and a bug like that would be critical.
>
> But for Gregorian Chant it is only ever going to be a relatively short
> piece of music. So such a bug could be worked around with some markup
> and not be a killer.
> That consideration also means getting the most efficient method of
> inputting stuff is not so crucial. Something easy to pick up for an
> occasional task would be better than something that is only efficient
> once you have learnt a set of shortcuts etc.
>
> I noticed that once I inserted the flexa pair of notes from the snippet
> putting the cursor on the first note and typing the note names added the
> pitches, so this could be a technique even for those without MIDI
> keyboard. For chant it would be good to have a command to add the pitch
> and move left for this - like the MIDI keyboard input does. The standard
> a, b, c ... shortcuts could do this, and a Quit button in the Gregorian
> Palette could reload the standard meaning for those shortcuts.
>
> Perhaps you could design the way that input could be done to be easy to
> pick up and use, and give reasonable feedback in the Display?

What comes to my mind is the following: It is easiest to separate note
input and input of the special features such as ligatures. An easy
approach would be: select two notes, click on a button on the Gregorian
palette, e.g. flexa, and everything is set up correctly, i.e. add
ligature directives and the flexa directive in the above example.

Andreas