Re: [Denemo-devel] Melisma Start / End directives

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Melisma Start / End directives
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2017 10:09:11 +0000

On Tue, 2017-01-17 at 21:57 +0100, Andreas Schneider wrote:
> >> the
> >
> > Well, perhaps in the Lyrics menu?
>
> Hmm, intuitively I would expect a command under Lyrics to affect the
> text in the lyrics pane, while placing it under Notes/Rests suggests to
> me that it applies to the note the cursor is on. But maybe I'm not
> representative -- you surely have more experience what users expect.

Well, my expectations are highly colored, not only by my long exposure
to Denemo but also my own personality, so other's take on how things
should be arranged is always welcome. What we are up against here is
quite an intractable problem: grouping things by object
(score,movement,staff,measure,chord,note) has several problems. Things
like lyrics don't fit into the hierarchy easily. And some commands span
objects (e.g. delete), while others (e.g. beaming) appear under notes
and time signatures. Some commands (e.g. ReBar) have been written so
they work either on a staff or from the cursor or on the whole movement.

In the case of the lyrics menu there are commands to create a verse
(which could be in the staff menu) and to locate the syllable for the
cursor position (which could be in the Navigation menu). So the lyrics
menu is already more like a palette - a collection of related commands.

But to get back to the \melismaStart and End I see from the docs you
pointed to that there is a whole heap more controls over
syllabification, none of which we can easily handle in the Display. So
these are really only good for LilyPond aware users, who can just insert
the syntax they want. Offering the command with the display showing the
wrong syllables may do more harm than good (I take it there is no case
where it is essential to use that syntax?). We could always add it with
a health warning, of course...