Re: [Denemo-devel] Fwd: Re: PDF layout

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Fwd: Re: PDF layout
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2017 21:49:04 +0000

On Thu, 2017-01-26 at 20:35 +0000, Joe Wilkinson wrote:
> Hi Richard and others. I assume that two days delay in a response is
> that you are busy with much more important items.

No, it is simply that the email has got lost - it is not on the list!
I have known that to happen once before.

> It would be nice to know if there is a simple way of editing the Print
> layout on my Windows 10 machine. Direct Printing isn't possible from
> Windows apparently, so I can't use the File>>Print>>Score and Parts
> option and have to display Score and each Part  separately in the
> Typeset window and then save each as a separate file. Which isn't
> really a problem and having them separate is generally more use than
> all in one file.
>
> What I can't get my head round (short of making a copy of the denemo
> file and then deleting all the Staffs I don't need (i.e. 4 staffs
> times 5 movements) individually, is how to print just a pair of staves
> from all movements (i.e. a score without unneeded parts). I assumed I
> could create a Custom Layout that would achieve this, but can't see
> how.

Custom Layout is the right way (unless you don't want to print the
individual staves as well - if you don't want to print both the pair of
staves and the individual staves then you can just give both staves of
the pair the same part name, and then use the Part button in the Print
Layout)

>  The Help file is unhelpful on this!
>

> I could get the Score Layout Window up yesterday but had problems (see
> below).

The problem you had was you were expecting scroll bars, instead each
movement is openable/closeable with the little triangular arrow markers
next to the movement name (and inside that each staff and each voice can
be opened up or closed down)

>  Now I can not get the view below - there is something in the help
> file indicating that after saving a custom layout

Well it's not the saving, it's the re-loading, after shutting it down -
what is stored on disk is just the LilyPond syntax you have generated,
not the pattern of movement/staff/voice/clef/music... widgets that you
see in the Score Layout view.

>  it is only then editable in the Lilypond window - but a view that
> supposedly allows me to edit the Lilypond text. In this window I can
> apparently delete some items but can see no way of saving any changes

The custom score layout is automatically saved when you save the score.

>  - perhaps I am barking up the wrong tree???

No, your in the right ball park, but it's not easy to get the hang of I
think.
So:
        you finish your score
        you create a custom layout
        you delete etc staffs, move lyrics, etc
then you typeset the score and see that it is what you want.

Now you can print that whenever you like (by selecting Typeset-> <your
custom layout name> in the Print View). And you can even edit the music,
however if you edit something in the layout (e.g. the titles or the
number of staffs) you will have to delete and re-make the custom layout.
(Unless you want to tackle editing the custom layout in the LilyPond
window, editing the actual syntax).

> Is it necessary to get a Linux version of denemo in order to do this?

No, it'll maybe take another cycle of Q&A but you can do it.