Re: [Denemo-devel] Gregorian palette

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Gregorian palette
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2017 10:21:53 +0000

On Tue, 2017-01-31 at 10:52 +0100, Andreas Schneider wrote:
> Am 31.01.2017 um 10:18 schrieb Richard Shann:
> > That's ok, I've been very busy sorting out the bugs in Lyrics. Can you
> > put all this together now in a palettes.xml and I'll install the
> > relevant <palette>....</palette> for Gregorian Chant in the source code
> > (you sent the actual scm script for Finalis last email)?
> > I'll also remove the Flexa snippet from the GregorianChant.denemo which
> > the New button installs, as it will be less confusing to have just one
> > way of creating a flexa (and we would have to work on creating snippets
> > for everything else to follow through that approach).
>
> Do you wish the scripts embedded in the palette.xml (as Denemo creates
> it per default when the command does not exist)

I don't understand "Denemo creates it per default when the command does
not exist".
The palette you sent had the scripts embedded in the respective
<button>...</button> fields. So I guessed you were happy to go with
that.

>  or as separate .scm
> files installed within Denemo?

are you thinking of
      * .scm files installed in the
        $PREFIX/share/denemo/actions/menus/... subdirectories (i.e.
        commands that would be named in
        $PREFIX/share/denemo/actions/Default.commands and their names
        loaded into the Command Manager at startup OR
      * .scm files in $PREFIX/share/denemo/denemo-modules which are
        interpreted by the Scheme parser at start up.

The last wouldn't be appropriate as Gregorian Chant is specialized -
denemo-modules is for utilities to be used by other scripts (*).

The former would be a matter of creating commands in the menu-system.
Possible - but more work for us, and perhaps a palette is enough support
- it's not like people will be generating large amounts of Gregorian
Chant, they're fairly small sized things compared to an orchestral
score...

A user can always create a command in the menu system from a palette
button (get the script into the Scheme Window and save as a new menu
item).

I notice some of the tooltips in the palettes.xml you sent are still
generic ones, not explaining what the particular button does...

Richard
(*)The scripts of commands in the menu system are only parsed when they
are used (as indeed are palette button scripts) so these are right for
non-universal stuff.