Re: [Denemo-devel] Fwd: Segfault while copying and pasting

From: Rodney M. Bates
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Fwd: Segfault while copying and pasting
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2017 12:24:45 -0600

On 01/31/2017 03:32 AM, Richard Shann wrote:
On Mon, 2017-01-30 at 14:04 -0600, Rodney M. Bates wrote:

On 01/30/2017 12:00 PM, Richard Shann wrote:
On Mon, 2017-01-30 at 11:39 -0600, Rodney M. Bates wrote:

I have 38 measures scored nicely.  I want to make a copy of it all, then paste
twice
after what I already have, as starting points for further edits.  Denemo
segfaults when I try this method:
are you able to run it under gdb and print out the result of the where
command?

Here it is:  I'll send you the core file if you want that many bits:

[...]

86_64-linux-gnu/libguile-2.0.so.22
#50 0x00007fa8ddb72bbc in ?? () from
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libguile-2.0.so.22
#51 0x00007fa8dd84a952 in GC_call_with_stack_base () from
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgc.so.1
#52 0x00007fa8ddb72fe8 in scm_with_guile () from
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libguile-2.0.so.22
#53 0x000000000041538e in main ()
(gdb)

Thanks for this, by a remarkable coincidence I just fixed a relevant bug
in the lyrics code, so I think the problem may be gone (see below)
Testing your file I copied and pasted the 38 bars, doing the paste with
the cursor in the appending position on the top-most staff. That is with
the bug fixed, I haven't had a chance to test earlier versions.

edit->select->select all music in movement
edit->copy
place cursor at end, appending
edit->paste

Is this the wrong way?  This is 2.0.19, on Linux, using the .deb files.

I just tested out doing this on 38 bars of a single staff and that seems
to work fine (in fact, repeatedly testing I got up to 301 bars).
If you have more than one staff in your selection you need to create
empty staffs to match the pasting you wish to do. In fact, testing this
I see that if there is only one staff to paste into then the Paste
operation can hang - it seems to depend on the number of bars. I've
submitted a bug report for that.

There are 3 staffs, lyrics on each.  I didn't do anything to lengthen them
at the end of bar 38, just got the cursor there in append mode and pasted.
Does it matter which staff the cursor is in?

yes, the pasting seems to operate from the staff and cursor position
going to the right and down. So unless the cursor has enough staffs
below the one it is in a mess results. This is what I think it would be
good to fix before the 2.1 release

I'm not sure if you can use the build in Andreas's "daily" directory or
whether Andreas will have to crank out another one.

The *2.0.21*.deb files in Andreas' directory handle the paste, as expected.
Thanks!  I am off and running on my next phase of scoring.

Better still would
be if you could build yourself from the dynamically generated tarball
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/denemo.git/snapshot/denemo-master.tar.gz
as you would get debug symbols, which would help a lot in figuring out
what went wrong.

Rodney Bates
address@hidden