[Denemo-devel] New problems: no playback, nonresponsive windows

From: Rodney M. Bates
Subject: [Denemo-devel] New problems: no playback, nonresponsive windows
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2017 11:41:55 -0600

With recent versions of denemo, including the .deb files and a local build on
my system of a .tar.gz, I am now seeing two new problems.  Neither occurred
with the old version that my distribution (mint 18) has in its package repos.

1) Playback now doesn't play anything.  The cursor in the display window
advances
   through two whole rests and to the third note, then stops.  No sound is
heard.

2) After attempting playback, some windows sometimes will not come to the top,
   won't take the focus, and won't respond to some other mouse events.  This
   includes windows not displayed by denemo, e.g., command line windows, and
   clicks in window borders, which presumably should be handled by the window
   manager.  Killing denemo gets things working better, but not entirely, e.g.,
   this email composing window will not come on top of my media player window,
   although I can drag it sideways out from under.

When I start denemo at the command line, I see this:

address@hidden:~/music/scores$ denemo
Denemo - WARNING : Failed to add font dir /usr/share/denemo/fonts.
Denemo - MESSAGE : Loading preference file: /home/rodney/.denemo-2.0.21/denemorc
Denemo - MESSAGE : Audio driver is 'portaudio'
Denemo - MESSAGE : Initializing Fluidsynth
fluidsynth: warning: Failed to pin the sample data to RAM; swapping is possible.
Denemo - MESSAGE : The default fluidsynth soundfont has been loaded
Denemo - MESSAGE : Initializing PortAudio backend
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1029:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
ALSA lib pcm.c:2266:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.rear
ALSA lib pcm.c:2266:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.center_lfe
ALSA lib pcm.c:2266:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.side
ALSA lib pcm_route.c:867:(find_matching_chmap) Found no matching channel map
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1029:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for 4294967295,
skipping unlock
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for 4294967295,
skipping unlock
Denemo - MESSAGE : Opening output device 'ALSA: HDA ATI SB: ALC888 Analog
(hw:0,0)'
Expression 'parameters->channelCount <= maxChans' failed in
'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 1514
Expression 'ValidateParameters( outputParameters, hostApi, StreamDirection_Out
)' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 2825
Denemo - WARNING : Couldn't open output stream
Denemo - WARNING : Initializing audio backend 'portaudio' failed, falling back
to dummy
Denemo - MESSAGE : Initializing dummy audio backend
Denemo - MESSAGE : MIDI driver is 'portmidi'
Denemo - MESSAGE : Initializing PortMidi backend
Denemo - MESSAGE : Opening input device 'ALSA: Midi Through Port-0'
Denemo - MESSAGE : Opening output device 'ALSA: Midi Through Port-0'
Denemo - MESSAGE : Denemo version 2.0.21
Denemo - WARNING : Action SetGrace not created yet

Denemo - WARNING : Action SetGrace not created yet

Denemo - WARNING : Action TmbalesStyle not created yet

Denemo - WARNING : Action TmbalesStyle not created yet

Denemo - WARNING : Action Adagio not created yet

Denemo - WARNING : Action Adagio not created yet

Denemo - WARNING : Action TextAbove not created yet

Denemo - WARNING : Action TextAbove not created yet

Denemo - MESSAGE : Loaded keymap /usr/share/denemo/actions/Default.commands
Denemo - MESSAGE : Reading history file
/home/rodney/.denemo-2.0.21/denemohistory
Success 1
Denemo - WARNING : Staff fix note heights called uselessly?
Denemo - WARNING : Staff fix note heights called uselessly?
Denemo - WARNING : Staff fix note heights called uselessly?
Denemo - MESSAGE : Opening file /home/rodney/music/scores/theEye4.denemo
making 0 activeLog level set to 287
Denemo - MESSAGE : Stopping playback
Denemo - MESSAGE : Using channel 1 prognum 0
Denemo - MESSAGE : Using channel 0 prognum 0
Denemo - MESSAGE : Using channel 2 prognum 0
Denemo - MESSAGE : Stopping playback
Denemo - MESSAGE : Stopping playback
Denemo - MESSAGE : Stopping playback
Denemo - MESSAGE : Stopping playback
Denemo - MESSAGE : Starting playback
Denemo - MESSAGE : Starting playback at 0.000000
Denemo - MESSAGE : Stopping playback
^C
address@hidden:~/music/scores$

BTW, My locally build denemo passes its test suite.

--
Rodney Bates
address@hidden