Re: [Denemo-devel] 2.1 chokes on migrating my 2.0.14 profile

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] 2.1 chokes on migrating my 2.0.14 profile
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2017 08:14:40 +0100

On Sat, 2017-04-29 at 00:11 +0200, Johan Vromans wrote:

> > > Seems to have vanished after a restart.
> >
> > Well, that's more expected, why it should ever had allowed the same
> > shortcut to be assigned twice is more peculiar
>
> It shows only after the initial run where the migration takes place.
> On subsequent runs the shortcuts are okay.
>
> > > But now the order of the menus in the menu bar is odd.
> >
> > You are the third person now to have reported this to me! I haven't
> > heard back about how they resolved the problem. I think you just have to
> > replace your local Default.commands with the one shipped with Denemo and
> > reload your new Play2 command.
>
> Yes I could do that. But I'm curious.
>
> Do you happen to use a perl tool for the migration?

I'm not sure what you mean by "migration" here. The only thing that
comes into that category in my understanding of the term is a bash
script shipped with Denemo which opens all xxxx.denemo files and saves
them to the same place. The idea being that this will update the format
of the files, which has changed over the years. But generally, I've
never removed the backwards-compatibility in the parsing of Denemo files
and so it hasn't been needed. I did actually do it once, removing import
of the old-format slurs storage after a year or so of backwards
compatibility and then, ironically, found that I hadn't run the
migration script myself, let alone warned people to run it, so that was
an unhappy experience. As to removing commands, as a rule I don't do it
on the basis that I can't be sure who out there has written a script
invoking any particular command. I can understand how I came to drop
"ToggleRestMode", however, since there are no "modes" in Denemo, haven't
been for about 10 years, so no-one could be usefully calling it.
A short course I once took in Perl programming convinced me that it was
a language I would avoid if at all possible!