Re: [Denemo-devel] Time Signature Whiteout (was Proportional Notation)

From: NagyMusic
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Time Signature Whiteout (was Proportional Notation)
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2017 02:11:46 +0000

Thanks, Richard. I tried experimenting with this but as you speculated, I do need some help with inserting the Lilypond Denemo Directive. I'd like to set the whiteout globally for all time signatures (and later for key signatures) in the piece. Do I attach the directive at the first time signature in each voice (the pieces alternates between different time signatures)? I also tried inserting the directive before the music (pitches), but it messed up the score layout ... Thank you!

On Sun, Sep 24, 2017 at 10:22 AM Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sun, 2017-09-24 at 12:09 +0000, NagyMusic wrote:
> This is a quick question to ask where precisely in the score one
> should insert the Lilypond as Denemo Directive? Since the code has two
> parts:

If you want to insert two bits of LilyPond syntax at two different
places in the music then you will need two Denemo Directives.

> before pitches entry:
> \override Score.StaffSymbol.layer = #4
> \override Staff.TimeSignature.layer = #3
>

> and after (before the time signature):
> \once \override Staff.TimeSignature.whiteout = ##t
>

> should one insert the directive before (or at) the first time
> signature (or every time)?

If you want the whiteout to apply to all the time signatures then you
should omit the \once
and, in that case, you could put all the syntax at the start of the
music:

  {
   \override Score.StaffSymbol.layer = #4
   \override Staff.TimeSignature.layer = #3
   \override Staff.TimeSignature.whiteout = ##t
   b'2 b'~

   \time 3/4
   b' r4
   \time 4/4
   b'2 b'~

   \time 3/4
   b' r4
 }

and just use one Denemo Directive. If you did want the whiteout just for
certain time signatures then you would use the \once syntax, in which
case it would be neater to attach the Denemo directive to the time
signature itself, but you would need help to do that. Otherwise, just
insert a Denemo Directive with the \once syntax before each time
signature that you want to have that property.