Re: [Denemo-devel] Plogue Sforzando with Denemo

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Plogue Sforzando with Denemo
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2017 08:31:09 +0100

On Fri, 2017-09-29 at 01:53 +0000, NagyMusic wrote:
> Thanks! I did try changing the soundfont in Denemo's preferences
> (Change Preferences => MIDI, etc.). However, after several attempts,
> there's no sound coming out at all... Input and Output devices are set
> to default. I know that one needs to set a path to the given
> SoundFont; does one need to put a sf2 file in a particular Denemo
> folder?

No, the .sf2 file can be anywhere. It's possible to have no sound
because of the soundfont (e.g if there is no instrument in the default
bank and program number). To check what soundfont instruments Denemo is
seeing go to Staff->Staff Properties->Built-in Staff Properties, MIDI
tab and click on the MIDI Instrument pull down - you should see the
names of the instruments in the soundfont.

>  I fear that I messed something up here :-) ... because there used to
> be sound playing before (a general piano sound), at least when
> entering the notes.

this is the more likely explanation for no sound:

 Check that you get audio with other programs (e.g. VLC media player)
when Denemo is *not* running.
 Make sure no other audio generating programs are running and re-start
Denemo.
 Look in the preferences at the AUDIO tab, output device - it should
list devices available - test them out, re-starting Denemo each time.

If all else fails, hide the .denemo-2.1.? folder(*) in your home
directory and make a clean start. If it works compare the new,
default, .denemo-2.1.?/denemorc with the one you have hidden

(*) it may have a slightly different name on Windows.

> The midi playback is one my last practices trials with Denemo to
> determine whether I can embark on a more complex
> composition/typesetting project.

Be aware that Denemo's MIDI output is just for checking you have the
right music entered, though it does do different instrument sounds and
volume levels but it is quite primitive compared with LilyPond's MIDI
output. There are no grace notes, no crescendi and no doubt lots of
other refinements missing. (You can, on the other hand, insert extra
MIDI messages into the music ...).