Re: [Denemo-devel] latest linux binary?

From: Edgar Aichinger
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] latest linux binary?
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2018 18:02:53 +0100

Am Samstag, 27. Januar 2018, 13:37:21 CET schrieb Jeremiah Benham:
> I am working on getting a AppImage built of denemo here:
> https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/home:jjbenham:branches:home:edogawa/denemo
>
> It all compiles but it chokes installing the .png and .desktop files into
> the appimage directory. Maybe you can help out by looking for other
> examples of what others have done. I need some guidance here. I may need to
> ask on the forums or irc or something.
>
> Jeremiah

I'm sorry to join this discussion late, but today finally I found a bit time to
look at this.

I see your denemo package on OBS is branched from mine, and heavily modified
just to create the Appimage from latest git.
Now today I tried and in turn copied your appimage.yml to my package, which
lead to a new bunch of problems due to the link relationship between our two
packages...
Any changes I make in my package that are incompatible to yours make your
branch appear broken. BTW, You can detach your branch by deleting the _link
file from the package sources.

As I don't want to get rid of the release version in my package, and after a
few trials cannot seem to find a way to get and extract the git sources for the
appimage, I decided to try with the release tarball for now. In appimage.yml I
have commented the references to git, and modified the script section so that
./autogen.sh is omitted.

I think the linuxdeployqt command cares for all the .desktop file stuff except
the icon location, so I copy pixmaps/denemo.png into $BUILD_APPDIR and that
made it generate the appimage. I think that's the step your yml is missing.

There are quite a few oddities going on though, e.g. the way to change into the
extracted source dir, or why it ends up with a packagename denemo-0-Buildxx
instead of 2.0.14 in my case. I cannot ivest more time right now, but I thought
I should let you knowabout my findings and hope this is useful.

Maybe we should think about how to cooperate better in OBS, I'm not exactly an
expert but I use it since some years and understand quite some of it. For
example you could make me maintainer in your branch, or we could set up a new
project called e.g. home:denemo with separate packages for release and git
builds, quite some applications use a scheme like that, see e.g.
home:Entropytuner.

So to summarize my work from today:
The appimage I was able to generate (from 2.0.14) is here:
https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/edogawa/AppImage/

my denemo package is being built at
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/home:edogawa/denemo
(IIRC you need to log in to read the build logs)