Re: [Denemo-devel] playback view chords midi instrument

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] playback view chords midi instrument
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2018 15:15:42 +0000

On Fri, 2018-02-16 at 06:59 -0500, Bric wrote:
> Hi, guys.
>
> Is it possible to select the midi instrument for the chords in the
> playback view?

The MIDI that you hear in the Playback View is generated by LilyPond,
so your question would need to go to the lilypond-user list. But for
them to understand what you are asking you will need to export the
LilyPond format from Denemo, use LilyPond to generate the MIDI and then
ask about possible improvements (that is to say most experts on that
list will not have heard of the Playback View in Denemo).

Having said that, I think you can influence LilyPond's MIDI output by
inserting additional LilyPond syntax, which you could do via Denemo.
In the attached I see that
\set Staff.midiInstrument = #"cello"
is output for the Playback View when a staff is set to the Cello
instrument (via Staff Properties->Assign Instrument, and that this is
set even if the Cello staff is then set to output Chord Symbols, like
this:

\set Staff.midiInstrument = #"cello"  \new ChordNames  \MvmntIVoiceII

where Voice II is the staff set to chord names and cello instrument.

When I play this in the playback view the cello sound persists for the
whole measure.

Richard