Re: [dev-serveez] changes (informational)

From: Raimi 'Raimi' Jacob
Subject: Re: [dev-serveez] changes (informational)
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 12:41:33 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 15 Mar 2001, Martin Grabmueller wrote:

> >   typedef union portcfg {
> >   int type;
> >   char *name;
> >   struct tcp_t {
> >    int port;
> >    <something> localaddr;
> >    } tcp;
> >   struct pipe_t {
> >    char *in;
> >    char *out;
> >    } pipe;
> >   }
> I suppose you mean something like this?
[complicated code snipped]

no, i mean exactly the above. does compile in a testfile...

> > another word on the guile switch: we decided to stay with the old
> > mechanism of knowing which kind of server to instantiate on
> > define-server!. we'll continue to require users to use 'http-someting' as
> > the server (instance) name of a http server. that schema is IOHO straight
> > forward :-)
>
> Well, you have been warned ;-)
[snip]
> That means, that we should load the users configuration into a
> serveez-specific module and then extract the bindings from that
> module.
> The alternative is to iterate over the symbol table `scm_symhash' (a
> hash table, similar to those in Sizzle.

i currently implement define-port! define-server! and bind! as C
functions. the configuration itself is in an unevaluated list which i
traverse and extract information. i think that is clean.

> You could put the protocol code into something like
> libserveez-http.so, and then load it when a http server is
> instantiated.  This leaves open the question from where Serveez should
> get the information which protocols are available (needed to search
> Guile's symbol table).

the current idea is: the dynaloader gets a 'short name' as argument, like
'http'. it then tries to load 'libhttp.so' (or libhttp.dll or
soemthing) and tries to extract the 'http_server_definition' from that
library.

so when i encounter an unknown shortname i can just do that.

Bye,
    Raimi

--