Re: [dev-serveez] current guile discussion

From: Martin Grabmueller
Subject: Re: [dev-serveez] current guile discussion
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 22:18:11 +0200

> From: stefan <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 21:36:47 +0200 (CEST)
>
>   Martin helped us a lot getting the current Guile CVS more Win32
> "compatible". Thus we might not have too big a problem to keep Serveez
> portable... Thank you !

You're welcome :-)

>   The one thing I am afraid of is the current discussion about dropping
> the gh_ interface. Martin: Should we consider this in our current
> implementaion of the guile interface and by what does it get replaced by
> (is there any replacement at all) ?

The gh interface will be part of Guile for at least the two next
releases, where the next release (1.6) should not be too far off (it
should have been frozen already, but you never know...)

So I think you should not delay Serveez 0.1.0 because of that.  Better
convert to the replacement API in the following release.  As Guile
support is quite modularized in Serveez, there should be no problem.

All gh procedures are implemented in terms of the scm_ interface,
which is a bit more low-level, except for some data-manipulation
functions (like handling arrays of integers or floating point values,
for example), so the corresponding functionality is already present on
the scm level, and if not, replacements will be created.  At least
that's the plan.

I think the transition from gh to scm will be straightforward, and
since Serveez is not exploiting too many features of the gh interface,
it will not be too painful.

Some rules for the transition have already been documented, see

http://www.glug.org/docbits/guile-doc-out/html/guile-1.5.0/guile_41.html#SEC423

for example.  If you have more questions, please let me know.  Or ask
on <address@hidden>.

Regards,
  'martin