Re: [dev-serveez] GC issue

From: stefan
Subject: Re: [dev-serveez] GC issue
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 19:04:19 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 21 Oct 2001, Martin Grabmueller wrote:

> >   This is all because all of these SMOBs are just temopary. My question
> > now: How can we portably (>= Guile 1.3.x) protect some Guile data from GC
> > ? I know there different concepts (like permanent objects and root sets),
> > but I am not sure which to take and what are the advantages /
> > disadvantages of each.
>
> The portable solution is to protect the objects with
> scm_protect_object and to unprotect them with scm_unprotect_object
> when they are no longer needed.

With the scm_[un]protect_object() functions applied to the problem the
guile servers of serveez are now gc-safe. It is possible to have multiple
guile-servers, multiple instances and socket connection now. I also
droppped the unnecessary smob marker functions. Thanks for the hint!

The guile server need yet to be prooved usable. The two examples are good
for demonstration purposes, but simple ones...

Cheers,
        address@hidden