Re: [dev-serveez] experience with "icecast" server

From: Raimund 'Raimi' Jacob
Subject: Re: [dev-serveez] experience with "icecast" server
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2002 15:32:31 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 30 May 2002, stefan wrote:

> On Thu, 30 May 2002, Raimund 'Raimi' Jacob wrote:

hello, *

> > i am running that server all day with mixed success: xmms does not play
> > anything but segfaults. that's probably not serveez' fault.
> >
> > mpg123 plays nicely... but:
> > ---
> > Directory: http://localhost:8000/
> > [ ... ]
>
> I was using xmms 1.0.1 for testing purposes and it work without
> segfault'ing or complaining about anything.  This version even allowed to
> skip song forward and pause.

yes. i have 1.0.1 on a different machine. that works as you
describe. however, it probably just doesnt croak about the same errors as
mpg123 does. since most mp3 players are based on mpg123 i would say it's
good when that player can cope...

> Also I do not know whether an mp3 streamer
> like icecast is meant to touch a given mp3 file or not.

i am almost sure about that. the id3 tag is not part of the mpg stream. it
has to remove, i'd say. but one could check the icecast spec/source :-)

Bye,
    Raimi

--