Re: [dev-serveez] Avoiding code fork/duplication of serveez cfg code

From: Andreas Rottmann
Subject: Re: [dev-serveez] Avoiding code fork/duplication of serveez cfg code
Date: 05 Dec 2002 19:24:16 +0100

stefan <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello!
>
> On 28 Nov 2002, Andreas Rottmann wrote:
>
> > However, I yesterday hacked up Serveez to make the configuration
> > mechansim more flexible. A short description follows, for more
> > information, see the patch and especially the changes to the
> > ChangeLogs.
>
> I just applied the reviewed patch to CVS.  Please note the below comments.

Cool. However, I just figured that serveez uses a different CVS than
that on savannah, which I based my patch upon :-O. I guess the
existance of two CVS repositories is quite irritating, at least.

> > * svz_server_config_t is now named svz_config_accessor_t, however
> >   svz_server_config_t is typedef'd to svz_config_accessor_t.
>
> The 'svz_server_config_t' name is misleading.  That is why I dropped it
> completely.

Yes, I thought about that, but left it in for API compatibility.

> > * svz_servertype_t has now a member `config_prototype' of type
> >   svz_config_prototype_t instead of `items', `prototype_start and
> >   `prototype_end'.
>
> This prototype has now also a name.

I don't quite understand...

> > * You can register "configurable types" with
> >   svz_configurable_type_add(name, type) and instantiate them with
> >   svz_configurable_type_instantiate(name, type).
>
> These are called:
>   * svz_config_type_add
>   * svz_config_type_instantiate
>
> > * There is a Guile binding for svz_configurable_type_instantiate:
> >   "svz:configurable-type-instantiate".
>
> That is named:
>   * "instantiate-config-type!"

Good. I already thought about shorter names...

> Can you please adapt your 'service' code to the renamed functionality and
> tell us whether it works or not?

Sure. On a first glance, it seems to work, but stay tuned (the service
code is not yet very polished ;-))

You mentioned that the portcfg stuff might benefit from these
changes. I can take a look on this, however, this would probably mean
implementing config-type nesting. I can't promise when I have time to
give it a try.

Andy
--
Andreas Rottmann         | address@hidden        | address@hidden |