[dev-serveez] Re: serveez

From: Raimund 'Raimi' Jacob
Subject: [dev-serveez] Re: serveez
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 09:51:36 +0100

Brian S McQueen wrote:

hello!

I have reviewed the Serveez documentation and I remain quite impressed,
and I am eager to start putting this tool to work.  I am also a bit
disappointed that so few folks seem to know or care about it.  I would
expect the guile folks to be quite enthusiastic about it.

i believe one or two have been using it :)

Serveez seems to have the potential to be more than a little tool used by
technophiles on their home systems.  I am interested in developing a web
technology which is scheme oriented, and will support my favorite web
development practices.

interesting. should be OK for serveez to handle.

> Serveez is so flexible that it will support good
ideas, and even many bad ideas for development.  I guess its kind of like
perl in that way.

yes, indeed.

In particular I want to ask about coservers.  It looks like the design is
such that a coserver must return a single line of text.  One of my aims is
to have a separate standalone xslt template engine, which will accept xml,
and will return whatever is appropriate for the xslt.  With this idea in
mind, the web apps would produce simple xml output, and it seems that the
template engine would be ideally suited to be not only a full server
producing general output when given xml input, but also as a coserver,
handling the UI aspects of the web interaction, with no dependence on the
data generation phase, which could be something as simple as a CGI, or
something much more complex.

Do I understand the server-coserver interaction correctly?  Why is the
coserver restricted to one-line text response?

coservers are only used to do blocking calls in a non-blocking manner. for example: name resolution is provided by libc only in blocking class. since serveez' server loop must not be blocked, it let's a coserver call libc.

for what you have in mind, i would strongly discourage you to use coservers. those coservers are more like an internal helper, not to be used for real work. you know, on the win32 platform the communication with the coserver doesnt work very well (IIRC), it will only pass data ever second or so.

for what you have in mind, you should implement something more like CGI. you might even use the CGI feature of the http-server. i imagine, that for performance reasons, you might want something like FastCGI (ie, the worker process does not terminate after handling a request, but rather waits for another). start a process, use pipes to connect it to the serveez server loop and pass around the data.

I can see other ways to achieve my aim here, but first I wanted to clarify
this coserver issue.

short answer: dont use them :)

okay, good luck. please CC development-related questions to the dev-serveez mailinglist.

        Raimund

--
                 /  /|  /  /_ /  ____/  ___/\      Nothing useful for