[dev-serveez] confederacy ode

From: Claudius Hurley
Subject: [dev-serveez] confederacy ode
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2006 15:22:18 +0800

The stranger bowed and withoutspeaking took his stand in a corner of the cell. Let himbe well fed that life may remain in him till all things areaccomplished. Yet before you search your mind for them, stretch out your righthand. Yes, but one whose company it is believed will please you. Danger threatens the Queen and all of you. Then others of them went on and vanished,to hunt among the tombs beyond, or so Khian supposed. As he read his brow grewblack and his eyes flashed. Your Majesty knows well that I am none of these. After this the soldiersbegan to search for themselves. Neveryet have I known harm to come to a Brother of the Dawn going about hisduty. Calling to Temu to keep close, he began to scale the pyramid,which to him was easy. There was a man in it who threw out afishing line, looked upwards and whistled very softly. Next moment he, too, was gone and the massive door had shut, leavingKhian alone. I fear lest we should be too late to give a certain warning, Temu. Roy was deadand the rest were gone, Khian could guess why. At last I have found one who is good and honest, although of an eviltrade, said Khian. The Vizier Anath rose from his sleep and visited me. How could you watch through a stone wall, Friend? If so, how came it that they hadseen no bodies or signs of slaughter? Insuch a hole as this even a Pharaoh would need no servant. Temu saw this and stared, then muttering, Faith! There were many such blocks, but at last he saw this one and knew itagain. Then they went to him, trembling, climbed the dais, and looked intohis face. It was a parting gift to me, said Khian, looking down. Trouble comes toall at times but it cannot change the blood in the veins. Moreover, now he knew what to answer; the words welled upwithin him like water welling in a spring. Moreover, now he knew what to answer; the words welled upwithin him like water welling in a spring. I see lights moving; perhaps the dungeon hasbeen found empty. Then Temu took from his robe a piece of papyrus on which were marksand lines. Is it to make another war upon the South? Then they went to him, trembling, climbed the dais, and looked intohis face. The man threw back his hood:Surely, said Khian, I have seen that face before. Now he guessed to what land they hadbeen banished. They could see no wound on him, but without doubt he wasdead and cold. Or if hissecret end was desired very swiftly, jailers would hurl him down thepit. Youwill find him a good man and true, said the jailer. This, however, Khian knew would never happen, for thereason that first Nefra would choose to die. Even then the purpose of thistrap came into Khians mind. There was the massive door andin it the grating through which he had looked and listened. Learnnow how I will deal with these tomb rats of the pyramids who havedefied and insulted me.