[dev-serveez] moralistic

From: Walt Glover
Subject: [dev-serveez] moralistic
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 20:25:04 -0300

In a workers army discipline istheoretically voluntary.
But I admit that at first sight the state of affairs at the front horrifiedme.
Then to my alarm I heard several of them coming down the hilltowards me. A life as uneventful as a city clerks, andalmost as regular. Ahead of us was the low sierra that lies between Alcubierre andZaragoza.
In the afternoon we did our first guard and Benjamin showed us round theposition. Georges Kopp, on his periodical tours of inspection, was quitefrank with us.
How on earth could the war be won by an army of this type? Firewood was the one thing that really mattered.
Next to his rifle it was hismost important possession. Ofcourse I was often under heavy machine-gun fire, but usually at longish. It was whateveryone was saying at the time, and though it was true it was alsounreasonable.
Ofcourse I was often under heavy machine-gun fire, but usually at longish. You went ongathering reeds, however; nothing mattered in comparison with firewood.
Beside the cold the other discomforts seemed petty.
It was bad for your boots, but it was very good foryour feet. Nor was sleeping in onesclothes any hardship after a day or two.
If the Fascist machine-gunners saw you they gave you a drum ofammunition all to yourself.
But on our side the gunssimply did not exist.
Of course all of us werepermanently dirty. That night the Fascists made a sort of abortive attack.
I nowthink that from any point of view it was a legitimate manoeuvre. This was repeated over and over by relays of men; sometimes itcontinued almost the whole night.
I do not think I have ever seen a country wherethere were so few birds. I peered cautiously through a loophole, trying tofind the Fascist trench. Of coursethere were casualties, but the majority of them were self-inflicted. They were simply remoteblack insects whom one occasionally saw hopping to and fro.