Re: [dev-serveez] first commit! HACKING

From: Raimund Jacob
Subject: Re: [dev-serveez] first commit! HACKING
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 09:38:39 +0100

Hi!

Am 02.02.2011 um 00:54 schrieb Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden>:

> () Raimund 'Raimi' Jacob <address@hidden>
> () Mon, 31 Jan 2011 21:45:43 +0100
>
>   I have a question: You intend to remove autogenerated files from git
>   repo.  We had them in CVS so that people wouldn't need all those
>   autotools-stuff installed just to build a nightly CVS tarball. I
>   don't know if you are referring to other autogenerated files.
>
> Here is the list of files on the chopping block:
> - INSTALL
> - config.h.serveez
> - src/svzconfig.h.serveez
> - doc/mdate-sh
> They are all autotools stuff, i believe.  I don't think there is much
> demand for "buildable out of repo" these days.  Besides, the current
> repo does not include the configure script and so people would need at
> least autoconf anyway.  Might as well give the savannah hard disks a
> small break.

Ok, chop 'em :) Seems some of them did not belong there anyway.

>   And finally: Eliminating the resolving coserver would be sooo
>   good. Back in the day there was "libadns" or something as the only
>   option for non-blocking name resolution. Don't know about nowadays.
>
> Could you explain why it would be good to eliminate that, or point to
> some discussion about its (mis-)design?  I have much to learn in this
> area.

The coservers are forked off to run blocking System calls. There are 3 of them,
IIRC. The most important one resolves Client ip addresses to hostnames.  Umh...
And perhaps one for gethostbyname() for new outgoing connections (i forgot).

This is a very Common Task for servers. It should not require another OS
process. If there was a non-blocking function, we would have used it.

The coserver meant a lot of new code, increased complexity (wich is never good)
and new points of possible runtime failures. Long runnig Server tasks tend to
trigger every possible and impossible error condition :)

Anyway, happy hacking :)

  Raimund

Ps.: README still refers to anonymous CVS checkouts :)