Re: [dev-serveez] IPv6 prep

From: Raimund 'Raimi' Jacob
Subject: Re: [dev-serveez] IPv6 prep
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 06:58:34 +0200

Hi ttn!

On 05/23/2011 10:34 AM, Thien-Thi Nguyen wrote:
() Thien-Thi Nguyen<address@hidden>
() Fri, 20 May 2011 11:54:23 +0200

    BTW, here is the wip sketch of src/libserveez/address.[hc].

Forget about all that.  See instead:

   http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/serveez.git/log/?h=q-addr

which is the compiles-and-passes-"make check" Actual Code.  Comments welcome,
especially WRT the changes to the client (non-libserveez) code.  Some of that
is somewhat balky because ‘struct svz_address’ is opaque.  On one hand i take
it as a good design principle to start opaque and only open up later, but on
the other hand, maybe such balkiness is just unmitigated PITA.  On the third
hand, perhaps Someone (w/ more energy than i have) will be encouraged to
rework those clients to handle IPv6 as well, in the process cohesing better w/
‘svz_address_t’ and eliminating the balkiness.  Hmmm.

Hm. that address union seems to be the logical thing to do (and also allows for that IPX-to-IPv6 protocol converter I always dreamed of :).

I'd just note that there is no real need to stress the opaqueness of struct svz_address. serveez is a networking framework and this struct is a small abstraction over address families. I'd have no problem exposing that to client code. This also somewhat forces you to keep that struct small and simple - that's what it should be :)

NB: The ‘STILL_NO_V6_DAMMIT’ documentation will probably be limited to some
blurb like: "@strong{NOTE}: Although libserveez is ``ready'' for IPv6, it does
not support it yet internally, thus any attempt to specify a @var{family}
other than @code{AF_INET} will immediately abort the process."

good idea.