devel-panorama

self-inflicted citizen

From: Jennie Griggs
Subject: self-inflicted citizen
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 13:17:56 -0400

He was glad of the opportunity to escape. Goin to print up some stock certificates byand by and peddle em out at a hundred dollars a piece. He managed to send us that telegram and thencollapsed. I notice, when you take ME to Boston, itis always you who are in a hurry to get back home again. Ofcourse, she added, cheerfully, I dont know how many of that kindyou do have sent there. He knew she would be as interested as he had been. What did he go to see her for, for mercy sakes! She was standing by the door, which had remained wide open duringthe interview. Sayles several times since herreturn to Cleveland. Hes havin an awful timewith her up there. Thepressing business is always at this end of the line then. Higginswatched it go and then turned to her husband with a slow shake ofthe head. The first came the morning followingthat of his brothers departure. He saw her glanceat the window across the road. If he is Ill kill him, myself, and put him out of his misery. And hes been up to their house twiceinside of a week. Only once had heheard from his friend Knight. Cora and I feel as if we had lost the best friendwe had. The latter,however, did not catch the meaning in her look. What did he go to see her for, for mercy sakes! Yes, she said, slowly, I shouldnt wonder if you was. IfI dont have better luck than I have so far the trip may have to goover for another year. That aintfashionable these days; anyhow it aint with most of the otherstock Ive put my money into. Then she said: Carey,what would you do if you had all the money you wanted? Ive got things to attend tothis morning and I suppose you have. And now, she asked, a few minutes afterward, who will be thenext on the list? Suppose we dont talk about me any longer. What if he and she do see eachother once in a while? I hope coming here isnt likely to kill you, shesaid. When he reached thatpoint he should again ask her advice. I should have been everso disappointed if you hadnt come. That evening Carey did what was, for him, a remarkable thing.