devel-panorama

bloodstained ineligible

From: Robbie Vaughan
Subject: bloodstained ineligible
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2006 20:59:46 +0200

We think we can get along with French and that every educated personought to know our language. I dont know any other Westerncivilized country where such a silly system exists. On one occasion we came quite close to some shrubs and were to hide. At least I felt that at Mentone they could not have beennotified yet. What had happened I never found out, but I felt I had had a closeshave. He looked it over very carefully, trying to find a flaw, but therehappened to be none. We think we can get along with French and that every educated personought to know our language. Death is great goodfortune compared to any of these conditions. Boththe Legion and the French regiment encamped with us were to take partin the manoeuvre. And I dontbelieve that dapper young man was doing all his rushing work fornothing. But, as the waiterhad said, I was there, and they would not send a first-class passengerback. But he did not return in two days, nor in three days, nor in fivedays. I sent up a very courteous note asking him if Imight speak to him as I could not come on week-days. The driverswere insolent and most lordly. To know what we were doing gave zest to ourduty, and we were anxious to do our best. What had happened I never found out, but I felt I had had a closeshave. Whereas if I stayed in thetrain they might think I had got out on the way and would arrivelater. Oh no, I am not going that way, and off he drove. He did not say a word to the civilians,who travelled second class on third-class tickets. Acharock, the sergeant from Bel-Abbès, was stationed here now with aFrench regiment. I spent theinterminable wait at Marseilles in the toilet room also. A big burly brutal-looking man came into the drawing-room where I waswaiting. I sent up a very courteous note asking him if Imight speak to him as I could not come on week-days. The Ambassador certainly would not, even ifhe could.