devel-panorama

affably

From: Leonard Paige
Subject: affably
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 09:04:36 -0700

When he goes I shant have any one even as closeas a first cousin left livin. You are goin to CapnDaves, same as I told him you would, Mary? Hesgone over to Bayport, him and Doctor Hamilton. She closed the doorafter her and greeted him with a smile. She was far fromlaughter and much nearer to tears when she remembered that evening. I asked, she replied, because I wanted to. Might as welltry to keep a flea quiet on a hot stove. It is almost too bad to talk about, he groaned. She had traded that independence once for easeand position and money. Thought you might be practicin takin your last look, I toldhim. I doagree with you that Ben would have approved of a memorial windowbearing his name. She did not like to think of thatevening at all, yet she did think of it, over and over again. I dreamt about yourmother that night after you told me. He was, she noticed, dressed withunusual care, in what appeared to be a new blue suit. The fact that shesuffered most from the upset would not count at all. They were so sympathetic,they knew how dreadfully lonely she must be. At all events she must notmeet and talk with David Cummings again. His minute was more than five by theclock. The Brewster account at the bank had been drawn to the last fewhundred dollars. And that I shall leaveWapatomac just as soon as I possibly can. Therewas no prospect of a vacancy on their staff at present. Will you tell him I am here, please,she said. Maybe he can get you back into that bank again. Then Azure, a shaken, very much transformed Azure, came to her inthe sitting room. Might as welltry to keep a flea quiet on a hot stove. And tellinyou hed left you all his money! The fact that shesuffered most from the upset would not count at all. I ought to have asked for more informationright off, I guess. Well, so am I, except for the Skipper, andhes an old man. Obviously his illness had not affected his brain. I know everybody will say youre throwinyourself away if you do it. You see, headded, bending still lower and speaking behind his hand, he had togo.