devilspie2-discuss

Re: [Devilspie2-discuss] strting a window maximized and unfocused

From: Tomáš Hnyk
Subject: Re: [Devilspie2-discuss] strting a window maximized and unfocused
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2014 18:18:29 +0200

Ok, so I found a way to do this:

if (get_application_name()=="foo") then
    minimize()
os.execute("wmctrl -i -r " .. get_window_xid() .. " -e 1,3882,1112,-1,-1") os.execute("wmctrl -i -r " .. get_window_xid() .. " -b add,maximized_vert,maximized_horz")
end

First line starts the window minimized, second puts it to viewport 3,2 and the third maximizes it without focusing it. It is a bit cumbersome but works. The window seems to blink for a few millisecond when it is being started, but it really just flashes.

Also, as per putting a window to selected viewport, one just needs to do some calculations. In Compiz, the screen is one workspace, so if X and Y are the horizontal and vertical sizes of display, to put a window to a vieport x,y (x is horizontal index and y vertical), one needs to put it at coordinates xX+launcher_size,yY+32 (32 being the size of unity panel, if I am not mistaken). this works both with wmctrl and devilspie2.

Any more elegant ways to do this are welcome.
Best Regards,
Tomas