dfey-general-discuss

Re: [Dfey-general-discuss] Uproar over google introducing SSL search

From: Joe O'Dell
Subject: Re: [Dfey-general-discuss] Uproar over google introducing SSL search
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 06:33:56 +0100

> It's refreshing to see that ssl STILL outsmarts content filters...

Hah,

We've been having a week-long battle at my school, as the e2bN proxy (Protex)
has barred access to Google completely, and with minimal access to Google UK.
Thing is, the student emails are Google Apps-Hosted, and so we've had no email
access for over a week.

The only way they could solve it was to open up google to everyone, something
they mentioned would be "at your risk"; So basically, if anything goes wrong,
it's our fault for wanting access to our email.

> Anyone know of other search engines reachable over ssl [without installing
> software]?

Yahoo, Ask and *cough* Bing are all accessible, but as they don't provide it
over SSL, it's all filtered as usual through the proxy. :(

I would love to see them ban Protex, and get a proper system, but that would
just involve tightening Securus' filtering settings!

Anyway, enjoy your weekends all,

Joe
Joe O'Dell

GreenerClassrooms Project Co-Ordinator
http://www.greenerclassrooms.org.uk

Fedora Ambassador & Contributor (FreeMedia)
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Ascenseur

bedsLUG Co-Ordinator
beds.lug.org.uk

DFEY Member (SouthEast)