dfey-general-discuss

[Dfey-general-discuss] Fwd: [PPUK] Wikileaks Panel from DEAPPG

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: [Dfey-general-discuss] Fwd: [PPUK] Wikileaks Panel from DEAPPG
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 23:29:20 +0000

Anyone in London areas?

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [PPUK] Wikileaks Panel from DEAPPG
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 15:40:09 -0000

Dear members,

You'll hopefully be aware of the stance that many Pirate Parties,
including PPUK, have taken to defend Wikileaks and their rights to
exercise free speech. You may be interested in an upcoming event related
to Wikileaks.

The Digital Economy All Party Group are arranging a panel discussion
about Wikileaks and Julian Assange in Portcullis House on Tuesday 14th
December at 6.30.

It will be open to the public but places will be limited, RSVP
address@hidden

Eric Joyce MP writes:
http://ericjoycemp.wordpress.com/2010/12/10/wikileaks-event-at-house-of-commons-tuesday
“The media’s reporting that Wikileaks founder Julian Assange’s appeal against bail refusal will take place on Tuesday in London. It does seem to me, as a layperson, that the man is unlikely to abscond and on that basis may well be allowed out of jail while Sweden’s extradition request is considered by the UK authorities. Whatever happens, it’s to be hoped that beneath the maelstrom of interest in disputed (but nonetheless potentially serious) events in Sweden, some folk will agree that the governance and business questions raised by the Wikileaks phenomenon deserves early and serious debate. To say the least. To that end, the Digital Economy All Party Group (DEAPPG http://www.deappg.co.uk/) at the Houses of Parliament, which I am privileged to chair, has organised a meeting on the issue on the same day as Julian Assange’s hearing, Tuesday, 14 December. We’ll have a prominent speaker from a Wikileaks perspective and one opposing, and also Jim Killock who runs the UK’s Open Rights Group.”

For more information, please visit: http://www.digecon.co.uk/267#more-267

All Pirates interested in the Wikileaks issues are recommended to turn up.

-- Stephen Ogden
South East Regional Administrative Officer