directory-discuss

Re: [directory-discuss] failure creating new page from review ATTN: JOSH

From: Andrew Engelbrecht
Subject: Re: [directory-discuss] failure creating new page from review ATTN: JOSHUA GAY
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 22:18:36 -0400

On 05/12/2012 07:04 PM, Karl Berry wrote:
> That url is fine, but it brings up a blank form, not importing any data
> from the review page.  Maybe that's intended?  I can't remember if it
> imported anything before.
>
> It's easy enough to copy from the review page, so clearly not a stopper,
> though it seems a uselessly error-prone operation.

Yeah, that would be a nice feature. Joshua and I talked about it a
couple days ago, but one of the problems right now is that official
entries and suggestions in the Review: namespace use different
templates, because one uses semantic queries to display data, and the
other can't (and shouldn't). Even if they used the same template, I'm
not so sure it would be easy to populate fields from another page
without writing a new extension.

So Joshua was looking into whether we could use "flagged revisions" on
an official entry itself. This would allow unprivileged users to make
changes to an entry that would not take effect until approved of by an
admin.

I'm sure you can see how much of an improvement this would be, since it
would encourage more contribution, and require less work for admins.
However, Joshua said that the extension he looked at a while ago wasn't
compatible with one of our extensions, possibly SMW itself.

That may have changed with new releases. There is also a lightweight
implementation of the FlaggedRevs extension, that might work.

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Approved_Revs

I'm not sure if he knows about that one yet.

At this point it's an annoyance, but whoever is creating the entry
should be checking the supplied information (which is a slower process
anyhow). Still, copy and pasting takes some time, and is difficult in
many non-graphical browsers.

-Andrew

P.S. sorry for the resend, but I used the wrong mailing list address at
first.