directory-discuss

Re: [directory-discuss] Free Software Directory:MediaWiki extensions (pr

From: Greg Rundlett (freephile)
Subject: Re: [directory-discuss] Free Software Directory:MediaWiki extensions (proposed)
Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 14:07:05 -0400

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 11:18 AM, David Englund/Hedlund <address@hidden> wrote:
The repo is set up for freedom verification.

[taking the discussion back to the list]

Please be sure to reply to the list unless it's intentional to take the discussion private.

Repo? By 'repo', do you mean wiki article? Or is something going on behind the scenes that I don't know about?  (I use the term repo to refer to a repository of source code contained in a version control system.)

I repeat that there are hundreds of MediaWiki extensions -- all under constant change and development by independent authors.  Each MediaWiki extension published at MediaWiki.org contains license data.  So, if we were to endeavor to catalog those extensions, their licenses, and annotate them in the Directory wiki as "free", we must first populate the FSF Directory wiki by script to avoid duplicating data, and wasted manual effort.  You can do this (pull data from one wiki and insert/edit/update data in another wiki) via the MediaWiki API.