directory-discuss

Re: [directory-discuss] Please add "Runs-on:.. ReactOS"

From: Svetlana A. Tkachenko
Subject: Re: [directory-discuss] Please add "Runs-on:.. ReactOS"
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2015 09:43:01 +1000

David Englund/Hedlund wrote with subject «Please add "Runs-on:.. ReactOS"»:
> I totally agree with Svetlana that ReactOS shoul be on the OS list.

You misunderstood. After ReactOS (or an equivalent project) is liberated, it
may be and then recognized as a free distro, with the goal of liberating a
number of copyleft programs which currently run on Windows but do not run in
Wine; these programs then become entitled to an entry in the Directory. The
list is at http://www.gnu.org/distros/free-non-gnu-distros.html .

Joshua Gay wrote:
> We don't want to encourage the use of ReactOS

I disagree with you. We do not evaluate the usefullness of the "runs on"
distros based on its popularity, freedom, or mission. The platforms listed in
the 'runs on' list are not something FSF endorses and they should not be seen
as such; Windows is more evil than ReactOS, either way. (It is just that we
should not catalogue those which run on ReactOS and Windows exclusively without
running on a GNU/Linux, which was the problem with the ClamWin page; this is
where we all agree).

--
Svetlana A. Tkachenko
Member of the Free Software Foundation