directory-discuss

Re: [directory-discuss] Firefox Hello free?

From: Yoni Rabkin
Subject: Re: [directory-discuss] Firefox Hello free?
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2015 17:05:11 -0500

John Sullivan <address@hidden> writes:

> David Hedlund <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Wrong forum, I wrote to bugzilla instead.
>>

> I am interested in the answer. :)
>
> -john

I'm curious as well (but I use Icecat, so I can't check directly.)
Instead I had a short poke around the Internet and this is what I've
found:

The feature is called Hello as a brand name, but the technology behind
it is called Loop. Loop isn't simple, and here are two pages which
explain the topography/architecture:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Loop/Architecture#Network_Architecture
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Loop/Try_Loop

As described in those pages, there is a Loop server and Firefox Accounts
server involved (as well as STUN.)

In the case of Hello, the specific service provided by Mozilla, the
servers used are provided by a company called Telephonica
(https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2014/10/16/mozilla-and-telefonica-partner-to-simplify-voice-and-video-calls-on-the-web/)
using something called TokBox (https://tokbox.com/).

What I didn't understand is the freedom status of TokBox. So I looked
some more and found a posting by some claiming to be from TokBox. I've
posted the answer, quoted verbatim below:
(http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19373730/opentok-open-source-license)

    """ My name is Byrne, I am a Product Manager at TokBox. OpenTok is a
    WebRTC platform in the cloud. The platform is open to developers,
    but the software that powers the service is not open source. We,
    along with our community of developers, produce and support a number
    of server SDKs and WebRTC client libraries that enable a variety of
    different integration scenarios with our service. Not all of these
    libraries and SDKs are open source, so all developers are encouraged
    to check licenses before bundling and redistributing our software.

    Let me clarify one point about the Server SDKs though. The server
    SDKs do not enable to host your own instance of our service. Our
    Server SDKs allow you to more easily communicate with our API to
    increase security of your application, and to enable you to get
    greater visibility into and control over chat sessions taking place
    across our network.  """