directory-discuss

[directory-discuss] [[IceCat]] links to third-party repository not commi

From: Svetlana Tkachenko
Subject: [directory-discuss] [[IceCat]] links to third-party repository not committed to only including free software
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2016 11:32:41 +1100

Good day,

Free distributions ship with GNU IceCat, which shows [2] in its add-on
manager. However, [2] links to a repository which contains non-free
software. This is against the free distribution guidelines which say
that "Nor should the distribution refer to third-party repositories that
are not committed to only including free software". [1]

While I understand that there is effort under way to create a free
mirror of addons.mozilla.org by the IceCat folks, this effort takes
time, and we are linking our current users to a site with non-free
software *right* *now*. This is in my view not acceptable.

I would suggest to empty [2] and re-populate it with add-on entries with
links to their installation files which are hosted outside of
addons.mozilla.org.

[1]:
https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-system-distribution-guidelines.html
[2]: https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/IceCat

I believe many other entries at FSF Directory have the same problem --
the websites of the software are not free -- and we better host mirrors
of the software (and also of their websites content where licensing
permits) without linking to GitHub, Addons.mozilla.org, etc.

Svetlana