directory-discuss

Re: [directory-discuss] Edit count

From: Svetlana Tkachenko
Subject: Re: [directory-discuss] Edit count
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2016 09:51:28 +1100

David Hedlund wrote:
>  > Are we editing https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Anonnotice ?
>

> https://directory.fsf.org/wiki?title=MediaWiki:Anonnotice&action=edit
> says
>

>   Editing MediaWiki:Anonnotice
>
> Jump to: navigation
> <https://directory.fsf.org/wiki?title=MediaWiki:Anonnotice&action=edit#mw-head>,
>

> *Warning:* You are editing a page which is used to provide interface
> text for the software. Changes to this page will affect the appearance
> of the user interface for other users on this wiki. To add or change
> translations for all wikis, please use translatewiki.net
> <https://translatewiki.net/>, the MediaWiki localisation project.
>
> You have followed a link to a page that does not exist yet. To create
> the page, start typing in the box below (see the help page
> <https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Help:Contents> for more info). If you
> are here by mistake, click your browser's *back* button.

This is a correct warning. The text you put to [[MediaWiki:Anonnotice]]
goes to the interface to the pages top. An example is here.
https://en.wikinews.org/w/index.php?title=MediaWiki:Anonnotice&action=edit

[[MediaWiki:Anonnotice]] doesn't exist at the FSF directory simply
because nobody used it before here. What I am proposing is to put some
text there. We could even fancy a random message:

<center>
{{#switch:{{#expr:{{CURRENTTIMESTAMP}} mod 5}}
|0=Free Software Directory is written by people like '''you'''!<br
/>Find free software you would like to be listed, and
[[Free_Software_Directory:Participate|get involved]].
|1=Something missing? Want to help?
'''[[Free_Software_Directory:Participate|Get involved]]''' now!
|2=Want to learn more about free software and how the FSF Directory
works?<br/>'''[[Free_Software_Directory:Participate|Get started]]'''.
|3=Can't find free software you use often?
'''[[Free_Software_Directory:Participate|Add it]]''' and make the FSF
Directory bigger.
|4=Have ideas? Improvements? Feedback? Want to meet our volunteers?
directory-discuss]''' mailing list.
}}
</center>

> >> How did you try to upload it?
> > https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Special:Upload
> >

> I added "Upload file to the side bar.

Maybe add it after we fix the file upload, it's not working at all right
now...

Svetlana