directory-discuss

Re: [directory-discuss] Anti-features going forward

From: Nomen Nescio
Subject: Re: [directory-discuss] Anti-features going forward
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2017 21:49:46 +0100 (CET)

Ineiev said:

> WRT GNU Radio,
> wget http://gnuradio.org/releases/gnuradio/gnuradio-3.7.10.1.tar.gz
> works for me.

===8<------------------------------
$
freedom_hostile_app=http://gnuradio.org/releases/gnuradio/gnuradio-3.7.10.1.tar.gz
$ http_proxy=127.0.0.1:8118 wget ""
--2017-01-21 14:25:16--
http://gnuradio.org/releases/gnuradio/gnuradio-3.7.10.1.tar.gz
Resolving gnuradio.org (gnuradio.org)... 104.28.6.113
Connecting to gnuradio.org (gnuradio.org)|104.28.6.113|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 403 Forbidden
2017-01-21 14:25:17 ERROR 403: Forbidden.

$ freedom_respecting_app=http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/wget/wget-1.18.tar.gz
$ http_proxy=127.0.0.1:8118 wget ""
--2017-01-21 14:28:22--  http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/wget/wget-1.18.tar.gz
Connecting to 127.0.0.1:8118... connected.
Proxy request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 3865525 (3.7M) [application/x-gzip]
Saving to: ‘wget-1.18.tar.gz’

wget-1.18.tar.gz
100%[===============================================================================>]
   3.69M   633KB/s   in 8.3s

2017-01-21 14:28:31 (453 KB/s) - ‘wget-1.18.tar.gz’ saved [3865525/3865525]
------------------------------>8===

Among the "four essential freedoms" published here:

  https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

there is:

 * The freedom to run the program as you wish

and rightly so.  The above above demonstrates execution of free
software that does not conform to how CloudFlare Inc. wants me to run
it.  The GNU Radio project has made arrangements to ensure that users'
execution of free software conforms to the wishes of CloudFlare Inc.

> That tarball includes documentation, and using it locally
> doesn't depend on any remote server.
>
> Now let's assume you can't access GNU Radio website
> and have no release of that package; then you are not a user
> of GNU Radio, and its freedom doesn't apply to you.

Clutching at straws there.

The GNU Radio project is denying GNU wget users the right to use the
software as they want, and subjecting them to run it the way
CloudFlare wants.  There are also ways to be a GNU Radio user without
that tarball (and thus be deemed "GNU Radio users" per your
horse-before-carriage rationale), so locking the documentation in a
walled-garden is insufficient.  Even for users who manage to get that
tarball from a sharing third-party outside of the corporate
walled-garden, gnuradio.org contains official documentation not
included in the tarball, separate from the man page.

--
Please note this was sent anonymously, so my address will be unusable.