directory-discuss

Re: [directory-discuss] blockstack is free?

From: Ian Kelling
Subject: Re: [directory-discuss] blockstack is free?
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2017 18:37:20 -0500

Quiliro Ordonez Baca <address@hidden> writes:

> As far as i can see, www.blockstack.org host the free software to self
> host its own solution for hosting software. I have checked the licensing
> and all looks good. But, even if I know the theoretical requirements, I
> have little practical experience checking for freedom issues. Would
> someone check it out too in order to verify? Are there other issues such
> as privacy?
>
> Thanks,
> Quiliro
> FSF-LA

Checking that it is free software is good enough.

Very brief glance, it looks good to me. I'm also not a licensing expert,
but here's a minimal amount I recommend you do before adding a project
to the directory: browse the source code and look for license
information: files named like COPYING, LICENSE, README. For gpl, look
for headers in a source file to see if "or later" or not, so I can put
the proper license in the directory. For our purposes, it's license
notices could be missing in some places as long as there is something to
show they are trying to apply the license, they just forgot a step or
two. Sometimes I'll file a bug with the project if they are missing the
gpl header in source files or there's other issues.  Depending on my
impression of the project, I will browse through some or all of the
directories, checking the contents of anything I suspect is an included
project (it might not be free), compiled code or minified javascript
(then looking for the corresponding source). If there's any nonfree in
the code repo/tarball, it's fair to assume the overall project is
nonfree.

--
Ian Kelling | Senior Systems Administrator, Free Software Foundation
GPG Key: B125 F60B 7B28 7FF6 A2B7  DF8F 170A F0E2 9542 95DF