directory-discuss

Re: [directory-discuss] FSDG Blacklist Rescue project canceled

From: David Hedlund
Subject: Re: [directory-discuss] FSDG Blacklist Rescue project canceled
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2018 11:14:53 +0100

On 2018-01-24 05:45, bill-auger wrote:
On 01/23/2018 11:08 PM, David Hedlund wrote:
Bad news, to quote Richard Stallman:>
Please delete the page
https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Free_Software_Directory:Free_System_Distribution_Guidelines_Blacklist_Rescue.

That information is not supposed to be on our web sites!

We have a rule that we don't even mention the name of a nonfree program
unless it is very widely known.  We do not want to inform people people
that these programs exist.

We can extend https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/GNU/Linux to include:

Type            Free program            Replacement for
Kernel          [[GNU Linux-libre]]     Linux

What do you think about it Stallman?

that page has no information, only the project proposal

but what of the "List of software that does not respect the Free System
Distribution Guidelines" page which displays exactly the same sort of
information and intention; and has existed prominently for several years
being noted as a critical reference on the "Free System Distribution
Checklist" page - this prescription would require it's removal also -
the majority of the packages listed there are very obscure and the
information is out-dated - the "blacklist rescue" plan was only to
update that information, then extend it, and make it more easily
accessible and useful

so the "List of software that does not respect the Free System
Distribution Guidelines" should also be deleted - or reduced to only
"very widely known" packages - yes?

Libreplanet and the Free Software Directory are different projects.

[1]:
https://libreplanet.org/wiki/List_of_software_that_does_not_respect_the_Free_System_Distribution_Guidelines
[2]: https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Free_System_Distribution_Checklist