directory-discuss

Re: [directory-discuss] Mozilla's trademark policy: Still a problem

From: Adonay Felipe Nogueira
Subject: Re: [directory-discuss] Mozilla's trademark policy: Still a problem
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2018 20:13:30 -0300

> more lenient about such "non-functional data" - for this reason, i think

As far as I can remember, the GNU FSDG requires that non-functional
works have entire freedom 2 available for the end user, which is not the
case for these media (image and whatever) subject to Mozilla's trademark
policy.

Outside of free/libre distros, then half of freedom 2 is the minimum for
such data.

Also, free/libre distros must patch the packages so that references or
calls to third-party repositories that are not committed to the GNU FSDG
are also removed. This is the case for removing the direct call to Mozilla
Add-ons homepage.

Mozilla Firefox comes with DRM support enabled.

Now, what should we take from this?

I also feel that the motivation behind GNU IceCat and similar from
Parabola, Trisquel, Hyperbola, and such like, is beyond the trademark
policy.

And in the end of the day, what should we recommend to end users? The
result of our hard work (GNU IceCat and the like), or Firefox (and with
this leaving the user subject to Mozilla's Add-ons page, enabled DRM and
trademark policy issue).

--
- https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno
- Palestrante e consultor sobre /software/ livre (não confundir com