discuss-gnu-electric

Them's the brakes

From: Mark Wyatt
Subject: Them's the brakes
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 22:00:05 -0500

Were brakes totally 'free' in your class?

Interestingly, given that you mentioned brakes in one of our conversations,
there is an article in Racecar Engineering March 2004 about Performance
Friction's new brakes for F3 cars. Their claim is that one driver (a Menu
Motorsport driver, but they didn't say who) could save a car's length under
braking, claiming, in particular, better control/modulation. They also pointed
out that better control allowed more rear bias, as less 'snatchiness' meant
they could run the rears closer to the limit.

I'm surprised that they could get that much more out of brakes. They keep
mentioning the 'competitor product', and I'm guessing that is someone like AP,
so its a big susprise to me that they can do so much better than another decent
product (maybe I'm wrong and the competitor product wasn't decent; maybe its
just an old design). It must be down to the control and modulation
characteristics; while you usually think of peak braking effort as being
limited by tyres, but how close you can take the average to the peak, without
'braking' traction is more a question of control.

Their calipers are monoblocs, using their own '03' pad material and they used
their own disc. Their disc was smaller in diameter but thicker than previous
practice (still lower mass than previously, but that reduction in diameter is a
bit unexpected). They are four pots, as, apparently, that is the max allowed by
the F3 regs.

I have to guess that a well designed monbloc has more potential for
withstanding distortion than a multi-part design, which must be a part of the
equation.

I have an awful suspicion that all the details of these bits are nice, except
one; the price! (OK, well maybe they need more operating pressure for a given
retarding force, which might need some reworking in the master cylider area for
an installation that was marginal on ability to generate pressure; my guess is
that if the friction characteristic changed dramatically with temp, they
couldn't have good control.) Price is not mentioned in the article, nor in PF's
advert in the same mag. Web site of Performance Friction is
www.PerformanceFriction.com .

In the new products part of the same issue Alcon announce their new ventilated
discs which 'improve heat transfer by at least 10%'. All too typically, they
don't say 10% better than what, though.
Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm