discuss-gnu-electric

Re: Problems with Electric on Linux

From: Steven Rubin
Subject: Re: Problems with Electric on Linux
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 09:07:30 -0800

At 09:01 AM 1/5/2009, you wrote:
Hello,
I'm having some problems getting Electric to work properly under Linux. I have a dual boot MAC OSX 10.4/Ubuntu 8.04 machine. Electric works fine with the MAC OS. Under Linux, I have tried running Electric from the jar file on the MAC OS partition (which has journalling disabled) and from a copy on the Linux partition.

I notice that with the MAC a file called .DS_Store is written after every session, but not with Linux. Instead I find a series of files with names like

/home/graham/.java/.userPrefs/com/sun/electric/technology/technologies/prefs.xml

Can someone explain where user preferences (like layer colours and transparencies) are kept? I would prefer a file kept in the working directory rather than one in the user's .java directory.

The .DS_Store files are artifacts of the Macintosh file system. They can be ignored in Linux.

The XML files are your user preferences. You cannot choose their location...it is a part of the Java "runtime". To see where they will appear on different operating systems, read:

http://www.staticfreesoft.com/jmanual/mchap06-03.html

If you wish to move preferences between operating systems, use the export/import functions (under the File menu).

-Steven Rubin