Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Threads / GUI

From: 'Eric Blossom'
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Threads / GUI
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 15:43:14 -0800

On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 12:59:45PM -0800, Ettus, Matt wrote:

> > Out of curiosity, have you benchmarked single vs double?  The only
> > reason I can imagine single being faster is lower memory bandwidth.
>
> I haven't, but these guys have:
>
> http://www.fftw.org/benchfft/results/pii-300-single.html
> http://www.fftw.org/benchfft/results/pii-300.html

Thanks.  Looks like the single is faster, at least on the machine in
question.

> I ran the udp test, and it seemed to work, but was extremely slow.  I'm
> talking one update every 6-8 seconds on an Athlon 800.  Is that the expected
> speed?

That's about what I see.  I see bursts of activity and then big
stalls.  Something is definitely broken in that code.  I haven't taken
more than a cursory look at it.  I probably ought to change the README
to reference code that is known to work.

For stuff that is known to work try src/gnu/examples.

Eric